If you’re looking for a city on the move, you’ve come to the right place. For architects who aspire to grow in their career, Springfield has everything you could want and more. From our award-winning, innovative educational programs, a growing volume of young, skilled firms and a nationally-ranked architecture school, there’s no shortage of.
If you are a current or future architect who is considering life in Springfield, this is for you. Find out more about life in Springfield and see why it could be the next home for you and your family.
Your Career Outlook
Springfield has no shortage of architecture firms located in the city. Some of these include:
- Dake Wells
- Buxton Kubik Dodd
- Paragon Architecture
- Sapp Design
- nForm Architecture
- Baron Design & Associates LLC
- Butler Rosenbury & Partners
- Esterly Schneider & Associates
- Hood-Rich Architecture
- Buddy Webb
These firms range in specialties, from educational, residential, corporate, hospitality, entertainment, retail and more. Each firm has a range of positions including engineers, interior designers and architects.
For those who would like to connect with others in their field, options are available through the Springfield Contractors Association and the American Institute of Architects. Each of these organizations hosts networking events that allow you to get to know other architects and engineers, helping to expand your network and make some friends along the way.
Further your education
Whether you’re taking your first steps into an architectural career or you’re building on years of experience, you can find an educational opportunity without traveling far:
- Drury University. Drury is well-known for its premier architecture program that allows students to gain their Bachelors of Architecture and Masters of Architecture in five years. In this program, students get hands-on experience through required internships and an international study abroad program. Many architecture students experience a semester in Aegina, Greece at Drury’s satellite campus and take in inspiration from the broader architectural landscape from around the world.
- University of Missouri. If you’d like to further your architectural education without leaving Springfield, the University of Missouri offers an online program for its Master’s in Architectural Studies with an emphasis in Environment and Behavior. In this program, one can choose to focus their studies on health and well-being, sustainable design, inclusive design/accessibility, design education and more. Students in Springfield will be eligible for in-state tuition, cutting the cost of your education significantly.
- Missouri State University. Though Missouri State doesn’t offer a degree in architecture, there are degree programs available for those who are interested in similar careers. For instance, MSU is known for its interior design undergraduate degree that trains students for a career working in design. Those who are interested more in the building side of architecture can pursue a degree in civil engineering through Missouri State’s joint program with Missouri University of Science & Technology.
- Ozarks Technical Community College. Drafters are a key part of the architectural process, helping to organize the specifications of buildings and other structures. Those who are interested in becoming a drafter or designer can get an Associate’s degree or certificate in Drafting and Design Technology at OTC. Since this program is through a community college, students can get through the program at their own pace, which may be ideal for those who are working their way through school.
Find the Lifestyle You’re Looking For
In Springfield, you’ll never be forced to compromise on the parts of your life that you love the most. No matter how you enjoy spending your time, there’s something special for you here:
- Dining. Whether you’re craving sushi or steaks, we guarantee you can find it here in Springfield. With options ranging as far and wide as New American, Danish, Thai-Mex fusion, Lebanese, Peruvian, Korean and more, you won’t have to go far to find international flavors. If you’re looking for something more domestic, we’ve got staples like KC style barbecue, New York style pizza and Chicago style hot dogs for you to sample.
- Affordability. It’s simple: when you live in Springfield, you get a lot more for a whole lot less. Our cost of living is 13.8% lower than the national average, making it easy to live the lifestyle you want and afford the extras that you like.
- Outdoor amenities. For those who love the great outdoors, you’re in the right place. Springfield is nestled right in the heart of beautiful outdoor scenery, offering the ability to go hiking, fishing, kayaking, camping or biking at a moment’s notice. You’ll also be impressed by our stunning parks system, dedicated trails and gorgeous forests and riverways.
Are you ready to start your life in Springfield, MO?
Download our relocation guide and see what you could experience in the Queen City of the Ozarks.